Tickle When Touching Submersible Pump with Power Off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2bike

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a submersible pump that I use to pump lake water. Was changing a coupling at the pump recently and noticed I was getting a tingle when I touched the pump. Power shut off.
I metered the pump and all resistance values are excellent and there are no grounds. It's a 3 wire pump.
Only odd thing I found was that it did show a small voltage (3v) between all three leads and ground. I don't know enough to know if that is normal or not. As I said, all power was shut off.
Can anyone help with the source and cure for the tingle?

Thanks!

When you say, "power shut off", I'm assuming you have a double pole switch that is turned off. Or did you trip the breaker? In either case, there should not be any power at the pump which means the pump is not the problem. I guess you could be measuring some stray induced voltage from someplace. If you do have a double pole switch, you could have some arc materials inside the switch that could conduct some electricity I suppose with the switch in the open position.

Back