Rusted water in 1 sink of a 2 sink vanity

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinwayne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have a question for the forum. I just installed a new 2 sink vanity. When I turn on 1 of the sinks faucet in the morning it starts out with rusty water then it clears this happens every day. The other sink doesn't do that its clear all the time. I never changed piping just the vanity and sinks. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Thank you..

What brand of faucets did you install? I've seen a cheap Amazon faucet set that was supposed to have brass fittings end up with brass only the cold-water and brass colored steel on the hot water. After a few months, the hot water was always rust colored when you first turned the hot water on, but not the cold water.

Hi Everyone. I have a question for the forum. I just installed a new 2 sink vanity. When I turn on 1 of the sinks faucet in the morning it starts out with rusty water then it clears this happens every day. The other sink doesn't do that its clear all the time. I never changed piping just the vanity and sinks. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Thank you..
You have a piece of steel piping or a piece of foreign debris stuck in the water line or faucet. Try removing the aerator and checking there first.

I’ve never seen a plumbing faucet made with internal parts that will rust.

the other sink that does not have this problem is copper piping and the sink that is causing this problem is pex. About a year ago i Pulled out the old vanity and installed a washer and dryer in place of this sink, in the process i had to change the pipe that came out of the wall because the old one just fell apart when i installed new faucets for the washer. I changed the pipe on the cold side and since it was on the washer I never noticed the colorization. But since I removed the washer and installed a new double sink vanity that is when I noticed it. It's on the cold side. It only does it when it's been off for a while, it does not last very long, just when you turn it on then it goes back to clear. I believe the pipe I installed was a copper pipe. I included a picture.

Attachments

• 20240927_000127[1].jpg
    20240927_000127[1].jpg
    2.6 MB
  • 20240927_001349[1].jpg
    20240927_001349[1].jpg
    930.5 KB
  • 20240927_001614[1].jpg
    20240927_001614[1].jpg
    1.2 MB
Okay thank you. but that never told me much. what is the problem did I use the wrong type of pipe or something? Because the only item i had to change was that pipe. With the old pipe I never had this problem. what type of pipe should I put there a galvanized steel pipe?

It appears you have a PEX line with a brass fitting screwed into a galvanized tee on the top, a galvanized pipe on the bottom, and a steel pipe out the branch through the wall with a chrome plated brass angle stop feeding your sink hose. Galvanized fittings and pipe rust as they age, and steel pipes start rusting pretty much immediately. Is your supply from the bottom or from the top? In either case, the steel pipe from the tee branch is a problem, and all your galvanized pipe can also contribute to rusty water.

Okay thank you for that. The supply is from the bottom. So, if I change the galvanized tee and the pipe to brass that should solve the problem I'm hoping? that pex line is connected to the other sink I think this connection for this sink was an after thought since the house was built in 1968.

How far does galvanized pipe run below the tee?
Where is your water source?

What are the materials of construction from your water source?
I'd be a little concerned about all the galvanized pipe as you said, "I had to change the pipe that came out of the wall because the old one just fell apart." I'm assuming it was galvanized?

The pipe runs under the house about 12 inches from the Tee. I thought it was brass but now i'm not sure. IT might be all Galvanized pipe. Here's a picture of the hot pipe and the pipe going down. the other sink has copper lines.. I included a picture.

Attachments

• 20240927_125901[1].jpg
    20240927_125901[1].jpg
    1.1 MB
  • 20240927_125953[1].jpg
    20240927_125953[1].jpg
    1.2 MB
  • 20240927_130640[1].jpg
    20240927_130640[1].jpg
    1.2 MB
Back