My house plumbing is driving me maddd - please help me understand

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexr54

Reaction score
In serious need of knowledge. Please educate me.

Just recently i installed a water softener and filters.
I installed them in-line before the hot water heater.

The setup is like this;;
City water to house--> water pipes in the garage corner coming right out the wall--> expansion tank--> new main valve--> water softener--> filters --> heater --> to entire house
Normal water pressure is ~50PSI - based on gauges on water filters.

My issue is, when i installed the softener/filters i also installed a main valve after the pressure tank (which the house never had before).
However when the main valve that i installed is closed somehow cold water is still getting to the house faucets. No hot water.
The only way to shut off all water now is going out to the yard and doing it from the city service valve.

Is this normal? From what i understood the city water is supposed to go directly to the water heater then to the house.
But that does not seem to be the case for me. Seems the city water gets split before hitting the heater. I just have no idea where and why, or if this is expected.

Is it worth finding the split and removing it? If yes, what would be the best way to find it?
Or is it something else i could be completely missing?

Last edited:
Cold water will usually branch off several times before the water heater. You're on city water, but have a pressure tank. That's odd. Got any pictures of the setup.

Cold water will usually branch off several times before the water heater. You're on city water, but have a pressure tank. That's odd. Got any pictures of the setup.
I'll take some pics.
I'm in Florida if that makes any difference.

The pressure tank was always there from day 1 when i got the house.
The house also only has a tankless heater, no boiler.

In that case, how would you locate the primary line before it branches off?
As is, the softener is not treating all the house water (Its treating 100% of the hot water, no idea how much of the cold water), and i have no main shut off valve except for the city valve in the ground in the front yard.

This house was built in 2005. So its not that old. But it has some annoying things about it. For example it didn't even have attic access when i got it.
Btw, its a 2 story and no basement.

Here is the setup. Please excuse the mess, i was just doing it, and as you can see im no pro. But hey, no leaks :) And i was trying to use as little 90 deg elbows as possible, so a bunch of 45's. Plus i had to do it in a confined space..

I also included a little schematic i quickly threw together just now.

Before the softener install, the plumbing from the expansion expansion tank went straight out to the heater (outdoor LP tankless) now the plumbing goes through the filters - then the heater.

Also, my entire house is plumbed with CPVC. Hot and Cold pipes - which is also very annoying.

Attachments

• Pressure_tank.jpg
    Pressure_tank.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • softener.jpg
    softener.jpg
    66.6 KB
  • plumbing.png
    plumbing.png
    90 KB
Yes sorry i used the wrong verbiage. I edited my post.

But my initial question/concern remains.

You state it's a two story on slab so the supply line would most likely come up through the floor.
Can you confirm if its normal for the city water supply to branch off a couple times before the hot water heater?
I would imagine this would really decrease pressure, and from what i've researched it says the heater should always be in line before the reset of the house.

The house is on a slab. But unfortunately i have no idea where the main line comes in. It must be in a wall somewhere.
I figured this was the main line, but apparently it does branch before it. And i don't know if thats something that should not happen.

I'm just not knowledgeable enough in this area to know how its supposed to work. I just use logic.
Logic says water pressure will decrease. It also says if all water goes through the heater, then all water will be heated and there will be no cold water.

I guess i just really need to find the main line coming in somehow.
Right now i think im only softening and filtering hot water.

Shouldn't this info be on a home inspection or something like that?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it!

In a case like mine, what would you all do in order to locate the main line?
Im sure im going to eventually need to knock down some walls.

I just kinda would like a starting point.

Find the water meter, check around that side of the house for a reach tube or valve box. It may be buried under landscaping. In the house check in kitchen and bath cabinets, pantry and hall closets. Those are some of the more common locations.

Find the water meter, check around that side of the house for a reach tube or valve box. It may be buried under landscaping. In the house check in kitchen and bath cabinets, pantry and hall closets. Those are some of the more common locations.
Thanks for the tips. Will give it a try.

Back