Leak at base of toilet (brown water) - wax ring failure?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pakle

Reaction score
UPDATE: Leak due to wax ring that shifted slightly

I found a slight leak at the base of the toilet that I almost missed. No visible water except for a small shiny spot at the back, and then I used paper towel to confirm it's water (virtually undetectable otherwise). The base is not caulked. No leak at the hose connections and I don't think there's a toilet crack. Water is brown and slightly more in the back. Seems to be water all around. The attached pictures are the paper towels left overnight. The 'wetness amount' change very little overnight, possibly because the toilet was not used at night. The stained areas are also no longer 'wet' now so maybe it only leaks when the toilet is used?? The toilet (AS Cadet 3) was last replaced during a bathroom remodel about 8 yrs ago with an extra-thick wax ring by a plumber.

I'm thinking brown water indicates wax ring failure?? What do you all think? While I'm calling plumbers to see who can get out here to pull the toilet. It's a guest toilet (2nd floor) so not a big hurry. Nothing leaking down to the 1st floor yet, the floor isn't mushy, and the toilet position seems solid.

PS. Should I shut off the water? Not going to use the toilet.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• toilet leak1.jpeg
    toilet leak1.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • toilet leak2.jpeg
    toilet leak2.jpeg
    1.4 MB
Last edited:
Cold be a wax ring ,check the water connections and also the tank to bowl bolts,look on the underside of the tank you will see brass nuts and bolts
Have you wiggled the toilet to see if it's loose
Dry up the floor and flush a bunch of times to see if you get water around the base

Seems like an easy wax ring replacement. It wouldn't hurt to shut off the angle stop valve if you don't plan on using the toilet until a plumber or handyman can replace it. It is quite simple, but they can be awkward to lift off without making your back sore.

Thanks guys! I was able to get a plumber out today and he said the wax ring had shifted slightly. There wasn't even any water around when he pulled the toilet (see picture), it had all dried up from last night. The leak so slight so it did not damage the subfloor.

He used the 2 waxes and hoping this seal lasts longer than the old one! He offered to caulk the base leaving a gap in the back, and I said no thanks. $450+tax but at least it's done right and I'm relieved there's no damage.

PS. I suspect the cause was when the tank had a hairline crack several years ago (I wrote about it here), and we replaced it ourselves. There might have been some 'extra movement' of the toilet to get the new tank in that possibly shifted the wax.

Attachments

• toilet wax shift.jpeg
    toilet wax shift.jpeg
    1.7 MB
Maybe. Go under the house and check there. Even if the wood isn't coming apart there might be mold that should be treated.
Toilet is on the 2nd floor and there's nothing showing on the ceiling of the 1st floor. Plumber said it's clear that whatever little water that seeped just flowed out the sides. He's sure the subfloor is not damaged so not going to open up the ceiling to check.

Last edited:
Back