Is this OK?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulr

Reaction score
I have a modular home with a direct vent/sealed combustion water heater which is 25 years old and installed on the 1st floor as there is only a crawl space under the house no basement. Pretty much everything you'd find here in this house is what you'd find in a trailer/mobile home. I am running out of hot water so would like to replace it with a water heater that is also sealed combustion that I got from a house that was being gutted maybe 15 years ago and the water heater had only been installed in the house less than 6 months, I've had it stored in my garage since. I need to convert it to LP which I do have an orifice for but I came across this gas line which looks to be crimped almost closed? See attached pics, it is one of the smaller lines on the left coming out of the bottom of the gas valve. Is this crimped looking part the way it was made or is this a problem? Thank you.

Attachments

• wh.jpg
    wh.jpg
    112 KB
  • wh1.jpg
    wh1.jpg
    65.4 KB
  • wh2.jpg
    wh2.jpg
    75.3 KB
  • wh3.jpg
    wh3.jpg
    89.7 KB
You can't usually just change orifices. You often need to change the gas control valve as well. Most residential tank water heater burners that I know of don't have switchable orifices, usually the entire burner needs changed. The copper tube is the thermocouple, the crimp is normal.

GReynolds thank you for the reply. I guess I'll try to call the manufacturer and hopefully get a hold of someone to answer some questions. The water heater is made for both, in fact on the label that's on it it describes which orifice to use for natural gas and which orifice to use for LP. I'll have to check to see if the entire gas valve and/or the entire burner assembly needs to be changed too.

Back