Irrigation well surging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shallowellconfusion

Reaction score
Hoping I can find some help in these forums. My house has a shallow well (about 25 feet deep) that can be used for irrigation, but the house is on city water. It appears that when the house was flipped before we bought it that the flippers gave up on using the well for the sprinkler system and just cut city water into the system. I’ve been trying to get the sprinklers to work on the well for the last few years with minimal success. Stations near the well work, but anything further away won’t even pop the heads up.

In an effort to solve this, this year I bought a 1.5hp submersible well pump along with a 20gal pressure tank and have installed it. The well is sitting very close to the bottom of the well, has a check valve right after the pump, then comes up to the pressure tank and to then to the sprinkler supply line. I have a 40/60 pressure switch at the tank that is then wired into the pump control box that is then connected to the pump.

The sprinklers now all seem to work well until the pressure tank empties. Then as the pump runs I get “surging” from the pump. If the pump is running at the top of the surge the sprinklers run but not otherwise. I’ve checked the pressure tank and the pressure is set to 38. The pressure switch seems to be working correctly.

What could be causing this? I’ve been wondering if the well is pumping too fast and pulling bellow the well intake, but the surges are quick and there doesn’t seem to be any air getting in the system. Any help would be appreciated! Happy to provide more information!

Back