Help with floor drains backing up with rain water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiveholeguy

Reaction score
I have an extremely frustrating problem...rain water backing up from the basement floor drains.

I have a 1950 rambler in MN. There are two floor drains in the basement (I believe connected) and supposed to daylight out the front of the house to the ditch. These drains are not connected to the sewer line. The sewer line comes into the house 4' up on the basement wall. I also do have a sump pump, but nothing below the foundation seems to be connected to it.

I have a hunch that drain line outside the foundation may be compromised from tree roots, but the better question is where is all the water coming from and why is it only coming up from the drains???

We had a very rainy early to mid summer. I currently have a floor pump on one of the drains with a hose pumping into the sump to keep the water at bay when it comes up. Between that and using a wet vac I bet I've pumped a couple hundred gallons of water out of the basement.

I've had a few plumbers look at it and spoken with several drainage and basement waterproofing companies and NO ONE HAS OFFERED A SOLUTION. Either they don't know what to do or wont work on it because it's not connected to the sewer line.

If anyone has a solution or knows a company in MN that could help PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!

Back