Broken garden faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDB

Reaction score
Good day, the faucet in my backyard has been broken for years, whenever I need the water I always use a plier to turn it on. please see the attached photo.

Recently I decided to replace the faucet by myself. I bought a new faucet and watched some demonstration videos online, it seems very straightforward. to release the old faucet by using one wrench hold on the pipe coming out from the wall and the other wrench hold on the faucet and turn counterwise.

I actually tried earlier today but in vain, no matter how I turned, the faucet just wouldn't come loose, it was like glued.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could advise.

Attachments

• Broken Faucet.jpg
    Broken Faucet.jpg
    132.2 KB
It went on so it must come off...unless the idiots soldered the threaded joint. Strength and confidence are factors (with the water off). You'd also need pipe dope or Teflon tape installed properly for a leak proof replacement.
Stubbing out as illustrated indicates a very poor grasp of plumbing best practices.
A fixed in place female adapter is normal with brass nipple stub-out is the preferred and suitable norm.

Use two wrenches. Hold the back (behind the white teflon tape) stable, use second wrench (in front of the white teflon tape) and twist off (righty tighty, lefty loosey) and replace with a 3/4" x 3/4" fip x MHT brass no kink hose valve, which you can find at Home Depot for $9.98.

1718376530473.jpeg

Thank you all very much for your replies. I changed the tools today, they have a better grip of the pipes, and I really tried very hard to turn it, however I'm still not able to loosen it. Some online videos suggested spraying WD-40 on the joint area. I will buy a can, and hope it helps.

Thank you all very much for your replies. I changed the tools today, they have a better grip of the pipes, and I really tried very hard to turn it, however I'm still not able to loosen it. Some online videos suggested spraying WD-40 on the joint area. I will buy a can, and hope it helps.
I seriously doubt WD40 will help. You need either larger wrenches, or more strength. As both pieces have a hex, a pair of appropriately sized open-end wrenches or a pair of 12" adjustable wrenches, with pipe cheaters for added leverage should remove that sillcock.

I am very pleased to inform you that I finally got the job done!

I think the right tool is the key to loosen the old faucet, this time I used a tough steel pipe wrench just purchased from Walmart to release the old faucet and it worked! No WD-40 involved.

By the way, the faucet size is actually 1/2, fortunately I bought both 3/4 and 1/2 just in case. The new faucet cost $3.05 including tax and it also came with a free plumbing tape.

I would like to thank you all very much for your help, here I attached a photo of the new faucet.

Attachments

• New faucet.jpg
    New faucet.jpg
    181.2 KB
Back