1" Rolled copper tubing leak underground patching?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rapidrob

Reaction score
My water main is 1" Rolled Copper Tubing that is 125 yards long. I noticed my water bill was higher than normal and knew I had a leak somewhere in the run of tubing. I live in the desert so normally any water leaks will be shown by green plants growing very happily. This is not the case.
After two months of leaking I noticed the basement wall was wet through a small crack in the foundation. This has never happened in 31 years.
I assumed the leak was on the outside wall of the basement foundation and did an educated guess as to where it may be. As it turned out I was only a few feet off from the leak as a trickle of water was slowly flowing to the right of my hole in the ground.. The main shut off is 125 yards away and I have the tools to do so. Not a fun job when in you 70's.
My question is that the 1" rolled copper tubing is not the same size (OD and ID) as "normal" copper pipe is. When I uncover the leak, I'm not sure what will be needed to repair the leak? Once the leak is uncovered I'm sure it will be impressive and I will have to shut off the main. If the repair parts are not common, I'll be out of water until I can order them which will take several days to show up. I have soldering skills and have done repairs in the past on normal copper tubing pipe. I just installed two Ball Valves in the water main inside of the house. I can now isolate the outside water line for draining as the line is lower than my basement sink. I'm not sure if I can drain the line before the leak running the 125 yards to the water meter/shut-off. There is a slight uphill to my home.
Thank you for any helpful info.

Rolled copper soft tube tends to not be round enough to allow fittings to work properly...so, we have in our arsenal "shaping" tools for copper. Though, the tools are for standard sized copper tubing, 1" or 1-1/4" etc. The O.D. of tubing is uniform whether L or K type copper tube.
Most good plumbers these days have ProPress or "press" fittings and without fully draining whatsoever.
Note: soft copper tube is not suitable for press fittings over 1-1/4"

Back