Installing an outdoor shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much cleaner look with the pvc to tie it togeather.
How did you attach the outer wall post to the cement ?

Well, believe it or not, I used the very sticky gap filler spray foam inside the first 1' of the upright, then filled the outer 5" x 5" posts with 100 pounds of 3/4" gravel. They are rock solid now. This locked in the cross pieces, and glued it to the ground. In case the inspectors come by and say it is a permanent structure, I can prove otherwise.

Well, believe it or not, I used the very sticky gap filler spray foam inside the first 1' of the upright, then filled the outer 5" x 5" posts with 100 pounds of 3/4" gravel. They are rock solid now. This locked in the cross pieces, and glued it to the ground. In case the inspectors come by and say it is a permanent structure, I can prove otherwise.
And why wouldn't you want it To be classified as a permanent structure ?

Yeah, city code says anything larger than 10x12 needs a permit. I also had a hell of a time finding a Simpson base plate for a 5" x 5" post. They had 4" x 4", and they had 6" x 6", but none for a 5" x 5". With all that frustration, I chose to save a few $ and simply glue it to the ground.

Yeah, city code says anything larger than 10x12 needs a permit. I also had a hell of a time finding a Simpson base plate for a 5" x 5" post. They had 4" x 4", and they had 6" x 6", but none for a 5" x 5". With all that frustration, I chose to save a few $ and simply glue it to the ground.
You definitely needed a plumbing permit.

So, to expand this question... If I extend an outdoor cold water spigot, no permit would be needed, right?

If I extended a hot water pipe under the cabinet to receive a dishwasher, this too would not need to be permitted, right?

My thought was if I as a homeowner and wanted to tee off the cold and hot water lines, including a shut off ball valve, I would need a permit?

In Kalifornia, many permits are only necessary if a contractor is hired to do major construction. But if a homeowner installs a water heater, no permit is necessary, since you are just replacing "like for like" items.

I guess this is where things get foggy.

They just don't make some things... or they need to be special ordered.
I rebuilt my back deck, changed out 4x4 with 4x6. I wanted to put fancy caps on them. You think I could find any... had to buy the treated wood and mill and shape to make my own.

Back