Before i buy

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludington

Reaction score
I'm sure you've read my posts on Water Heaters...
How about an opinion on this...
My current wh is still working, maybe pulling a bit more electricity than before. I'm thinking that bottom element is buried.
It's a Maytag, not made anymore, no parts available.
I was thinking I might attempt to drain it, open the hot outlet, run a camera down inside just to see what I can see. Since it's been 24 years, I'll expect to see no annode, and a bunch of sediment. Curious on the shape of the elements.
But, if there's a bunch of sed. I was thinking of pulling the bottom element, and vacuuming it out (or attempting to ) kind of leary about pulling it out. after 24 years, it may not seal going back in. And again,no parts available.
Thoughts ?

Don’t touch it. Replace it ASAP
I dont know if I can stand it, I just gotta know what's going on inside this thing. I'm betting on , taking it apart to give it a look with my cheap camera (why else would I buy that for ? ) I may be putting in a whole new water heater...
Gotta stay busy...
Today is cleaning the woodshop... lord I've got way to many cutoff. / scrap pieces,. It's either to the dump or a fire in the back yard...
I better go get started.

I purchased one of those lighted/magnified 8' camera scope, which attaches to my cell phone. I only paid $25 from Spamazon for it, but interesting how well it works. I bought it to inspect a lose screw in my Cadi, somewhere in my A/C venting. I tried, but never found it. I did find that the magnification made everything look distorted. It is still a great concept, and one of these days, I will find another use for it. Maybe a backyard endoscopy? Got an ulcer? Come on over.

I purchased one of those lighted/magnified 8' camera scope, which attaches to my cell phone. I only paid $25 from Spamazon for it, but interesting how well it works. I bought it to inspect a lose screw in my Cadi, somewhere in my A/C venting. I tried, but never found it. I did find that the magnification made everything look distorted. It is still a great concept, and one of these days, I will find another use for it. Maybe a backyard endoscopy? Got an ulcer? Come on over.
Ahhh, taking a break from shuffling wood.. yup, bought mine to try land scope my washer drain line, where it takes the 90 turn down into the main drain. For some reason, just can't remember that 90 being a San t that goes up to the roof. I can't imagine I didn't do that, but that was 40 years ago. But never could get the camera end to go around the 2 inch p-trap. Felt like it was catching on something. Never did go back to try again.
That little camera is in a drawer in the shop. Got it and a few other things from temu. But I remember the picture quality being pretty good.
Yall will know when I try it...

"got way to many cutoff. / scrap pieces"

same disease here. Was about to start cleaning the garage this weekend, but wife and daughter are prepping for a garage sale (I'd rather still needles in my eyes).

Mine just made it to my shed awaiting the death by fire. But gives me another chance to say... ohhh, wait that little chunk might come in handy.
I love the look of fresh planed (from rough) red oak. White oak, not so much, but that deep dark red oak.... nice

Ahhh, taking a break from shuffling wood.. yup, bought mine to try land scope my washer drain line, where it takes the 90 turn down into the main drain. For some reason, just can't remember that 90 being a San t that goes up to the roof. I can't imagine I didn't do that, but that was 40 years ago. But never could get the camera end to go around the 2 inch p-trap. Felt like it was catching on something. Never did go back to try again.
That little camera is in a drawer in the shop. Got it and a few other things from temu. But I remember the picture quality being pretty good.
Yall will know when I try it...

The edge of the lens may have been catching on a joint- if you put some hot glue around it and smooth it so it creates a smooth edge, it should pass.

I do Audio/Video and network installations which often requires me to be able to see inside of wall and ceiling spaces- these cameras are great for that.

The edge of the lens may have been catching on a joint- if you put some hot glue around it and smooth it so it creates a smooth edge, it should pass.

I do Audio/Video and network installations which often requires me to be able to see inside of wall and ceiling spaces- these cameras are great for that.
Good advice, something to try.. thanks

Back